Safari!

I went on yet another typewriter safari yesterday. This time I did not buy anything. I saw a few typewriters but none that I just had to have. I did want to buy some of the vintage TV sets though.

IMG_1052.JPG

Very rusty and frozen Royal 10. This was $50. Overpriced. Some things here are expensive and others are steals.

IMG_1053.JPG

IBM Selectric III

IMG_1055.JPG

Late model wedges on the table with the IBM.

IMG_1056.JPG

Royal 440 with cover.

That was as far as the typewriters went. However there were plenty of old TV sets, radios and adding machines.

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1059.JPGIMG_1054 (1).JPGIMG_1058.JPG

Now for some other things. The New Century Caligraph is being restored. Thats coming along well, although a little slow. Herman’s is coming up soon so stay tuned as machines will come up for sale.

Advertisements
Safari!

The Electromatic gets a new paintjob

IMG_0640

While happy with the IBM Electromatic after I got it running, there was just something that it missed. Then it dawned on me. The 1930s Streamline design was altered by the later grey paint and the incorrect grey platen knobs. The paint was dingy and chipped anyway so I decided a sprucing up was in order. So I did what any reasonable person would not do and I took it apart. I removed all removable panels and removed the carriage.  Then I went and masked off any parts that I did not want to paint and painted the main body of the machine. The result? I find it looking much better. The only thing is it still has the ugly gray platen knobs and 3 feet. I have sourced a set of feet and the knobs of of a parts machine along with the data plates from the side that are missing. Probably removed to “update” the machine. In the 1950s black paint and chrome were “old-fashioned looking” Grey or pastel colors and plastic, lots of plastic was the trend. I also plan to see about having the “International” and “Electromatic” decals made.

Here it is now.

IMG_0971.JPG

In other news a parts Densmore 2 has arrived. A 1914 Remington 10 was given to me by my great-uncle. The parts I need are now here for the early no 2. The no 10 will clean up well although slowly as at some point it was coated in shellac that has removed all the shine from the paintwork.

The Electromatic gets a new paintjob

Densmore update and other things.

I have gotten the Densmore finished from a mechanical standpoint.

IMG_0836 (1).JPG

Its back together now and works well (after fiddling with the escapement)

Cosmetically there is some stuff left to be done. The main thing is decals although I am going to wait till the spring to do that as there is a spot on the back of the paper table where the black paint got messed up when drying. I also want to have the nickel plating redone at some point as well.

21742340_10210164689220868_1663958129_o

Remember this? This is the Densmore 2 I bought as a parts machine for the no 1. Turns out its pretty significant in its own right. The serial number is 1287. This is the 3rd oldest Densmore no 2 around and it most likely dates to 1892, the first year of production for the no 2. The shift key is also black. No other Densmore has a black shift key. I did take a few parts off of it were missing on the other one to complete it but other then that it is in rough but restorable condition. I was lucky enough to find a Densmore 1 through a few other collectors in rough shape with a carriage. It is a late model with the late carriage rail. I plan to make new rollers for the carriage. It will also provide the missing typeslug that this machine will need.

IMG_0788.JPG

The Smith Premier 5 cleaned up well and works fine for the most part. Its the rarest machine in the collection, Oddly though is not the most valuable. that would more then likely be the Densmore 1.

IMG_0790.JPG

I have not really done anything with the New Century. I am mostly waiting for the spring/summer so I can restore it. Full teardown and cleaning with a repaint likely.

IMG_0777.JPG

The Smith Premier no 10 cleaned up well, just being really dusty. however it refused to type. it turned out that the pins the u bar pivots on were bent. I took them out of the parts sp10. Then it worked but it felt very sluggish. I ended up having to cut a new hole in the mainspring to allow it to tension up.

Some machines went to new owners at Herman’s

I was able to send some parts from the parts SP2 to some fellow collectors.

There are soon to be some new acquisitions in the collection. my friend Ian Brumfield has been busy dragging rare Royal electric standards out of what has been called “The Hoard” In that house full of typewriters there is a LC Smith 5 missing a carriage that I will be getting for parts for mine as mine has a crack in the carriage support. I also saw a LC Smith Silent standard in one of the photos and plan to get that too.

However the big thing that I am working towards getting is something that I have wanted for awhile. Its old and has a unusual type mechanism.

Densmore update and other things.

Densmore Reassembly

I have gotten the frame back from the blaster.

IMG_0805

I then painted the frame with several coats of primer and then painted it with a gloss lacquer.

IMG_0824

I then reassembled some of the typewriter. Some of the nickeled parts I swapped with the Densmore no 2 that I have. The nickel on that machine was better then the nickel on this one.

IMG_0827IMG_0825

I also derusted the carriage parts with Evaporust. They look better but not as good as having new nickel. A fellow collector should be doing it for me.

IMG_0794IMG_0793

Densmore Reassembly