I am leaving for Herman’s
I am leaving for Herman’s
Its officially one week away from Herman’s. That means I am making the final preparations typewriter wise. The final list of machines leaving the collection is below.
The following machines are coming back with me.
New Century Caligraph No. 5.
I have also ordered some wide ribbons for the SP2, SP5, Densmore 1, Remington 7. They arrived today. I will be taking the wide ribbon along as well.
Lastly I have a message for Richard Polt
There will be 2 categories in the typing contest at Herman’s. Modern machines and antiques. I will be in the antique category. I will be using either the SP5, Caligraph 5 or Densmore 1.
I got more typewriters to repair when I brought back the last batch.
First up is this 1953 Royal HH SN# HHE4995619. It needed a ribbon and some work to the Magic Margin system.
The other machine in for repairs is this Royal KMM from 1942 SN#KMM12-2934745
It has a keyboard with math symbols.
I decided to repaint the top deck of the Smith Premier 2. It had about 25-30% of the paint flaking off. I have repainted it with some gloss black lacquer. I also redid the pinstripes.
It is not perfect as I did not remove all of the old paint prior to doing this and the pinstripes could be better. I like it for the time being. I plan to have a lot of things beadblasted (for the Densmore) in the near future so I may redo it at that point.
I have gotten some more machines from the local antique shop to repair. Up first is this Remington Noiseless 10 from 1941.
We then have the oldest of the machines (and older then most typewriters). A 1904 Underwood 4. This machine has a crinkle finish on the paper table and front plate as it was rebuilt at some point.
Next up is this wonderful little Corona 4 from 1929. I discovered that the front feed roller was missing! But thanks to a replacement part from Tom Furrier at Cambridge Typewriter I was able to get it working again.
This 1973 Smith Corona Sterling did not need much work done to it.
Some of my typewriters are leaving the collection, Here is a list so far.
1897 Remington 6
1930 LC Smith 8
1961 Olympia SG1
1979 Wards Escort 550
These are all going to their new owners at Herman’s.
A few days ago I decided to get a machine up and running that I have got at Herman’s last year. My 1941 International (IBM) Electromatic. This machine had a few problems. The biggest one is that it would not type. Most of the keys created no impression and some did not activate at all. This was solved by adjusting the little rubber driveshaft between the motor and the machine. Another major issue was the return clutch would get stuck in the on position, jamming the machine. I fixed this by pounding the knockout toggle link back into the correct position. The Backspace and Tab did not work as well either. The clevises for both mechanism had come undone in the back of the machine. The machine is now working fine. It has a very strong impression. Having a hard platen is no help. Even on the weakest setting it is very powerful. It was rebuilt at some point in the 50s or 60s as it has grey paint and newer style grey knobs.
I call it Behemoth.
How would you go about cleaning all the gunk out of the key legends? They are quite dirty and I would like to make them legible again.
Typed on the 1926 Remington 12
Sorry for poor quality text. I don’t have a scanner right now.
The Corona 3
Densmore 1b parts machine.
Densmore 1c for restoration
Smith Premier 10
Remington Smith Premier 10
Thats all for now.
Remember the 1934 L.C Smith 8 i purchased about a year ago?
I have a 1938 L.C Smith super speed saved from a keychopper scrap pile with a 5 pitch typeface. I decided to take the typebasket from the super speed and put it on the model 8. I took the top deck off both machines, then removed both typebaskets as well as the starwheel from the super speed. I then put the super speed starwheel, typebasket and backspace stop on the model 8. This worked except for one problem. The 4 typed the d and the d typed the 4! This is because on the super speed levers are bent a different way to accommodate the spacebar. I then took out both the 4 and d typears and swapped them around to fix this problem. I now have a fully functional 6-pitch typewriter. Its sure to make a big impression.