Well I finally got it. According to the TWDB serial number database it is a 1912 machine and a early one at that. However it was disappointing to see a large chunk taken out of the platen. So for the first time ever I sent the platen out to be recovered. While it was away I borrowed the platen from my 1930 #8 to test it.
Here it is cleaned up a bit along with the new platen. It types well with the new platen. It, unlike all the other LC Smiths does not need at least 2 sheets of paper.
I also have been working on another non-typewriter project recently. It will get its own post when its finished.